Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Girl With a Pearl Earring





So this started out as a really good idea; I got these pearl rhinestones to review and literally the only thing I could think of when thinking about pearls was Girl With a Pearl Earring so I decided to paint it. This decision was made while forgetting about how generally frustrating I find acrylic paints and I probably should have taken that into consideration and saved myself some sanity.
I ended up giving up for the night, topcoating it and fixing it up in the morning. Still not super pleased with it but I wasn't about to spend another hour trying to accurately recreate a Vermeer on my nail.

It's not too bad though. Here's a macro of it:


It's better from far away honestly, so you can't see all the little awkward details.

But yes, the main inspiration behind this was the pearl rhinestones I used on all the other nails (originally I was going to use one of the smallest pearls as the actual earring but it was too big...)
You can check out my full review of the rhinestones here and for those of you unfamiliar with Vermeer and his works, here are some links for you: [x], [x].

I actually did an essay on art forgery in high school that focused heavily on Vermeer, (Van Meergen's Christ at Emmaus anyone?), so it was kind of fun for me to "forge" a Vermeer of my own!

Oh, also if you check out the studs and decide to order them (or anything else at BPS) don't forget you can use my discount code FHX31 for a 10% discount!

Products Used:
Essie - After School Blazer
Essie - Grow Stronger Base Coat
Seche Vite - Quick Dry Top Coat
Reeves Acrylic Paints

xo,
Becca.

Edit 170221:
If you are interested in learning more about Johannes Vermeer and his work, this page from Artsy is a good place to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment